Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Oink! ...forreal

SUCH a crazy past four days, but so fun. I've been far too busy to write up everything I've been wanting to, so finally, here it is! This will be the first in the series, starting with the Farm Sanctuary :)

On Sunday I drove down to the Farm Sanctuary with Rebecca and my dad, which was so fun. I love animals, especially my cows and pigs, so it was nice to see them in a habitat that makes them happy.

Piggies! Oink :)

The layer hens:

The coolest-looking turkey I think I've ever seen! He was a sweetie, and made some funny noises.

A chicken they saved from being made into someone's dinner:

A lonely goatherd! (I think that's how you spell it..Sound of Music reference) The goats were so friendly!

The bunny wabbits

I. Love. Cows. And this one's name was Larry. It doesn't get any better than that!


Those were the precious animals! Once we were done petting the animals and perusing the People Barn and gift shop (I wanted to buy everything!), we drove over to Ithaca and had dinner at the Food for the Planet restaurant. The only 100% vegan restaurant in Ithaca, it was nothing less than scrumptious. I wish I had brought my camera, everything was so beautifully put together and delicious.

Our tumblies were grumbling, so we ordered both of the specials: a jerk sandwich made with grilled tempeh, plantain, and pineapple, served with a spicy dipping sauce; the raw pad thai made with zucchini noodles, the gazpacho, and the caesar salad. All pleased our palates and were gone in minutes.

My personal favorite was the jerk sandwich. I love plantains! Having visited Nicaragua twice on mission, plantains have become one of my favorite exotic fruits (or is it a vegetable? who knows). Combined with grilled pineapple (my mouth is watering!) it was fantastic. The pad thai was delicious, but certainly unlike any other pad thai I've had. The gazpacho was deliciously refreshing, and the caesar salad tasted like the caesar salads I ate in my non-vegan years. The tofu was breaded perfectly, and tasted better than any croutons or chicken I had ever had on my salads! Absolutely scrumptious.

For dessert, all of their options sounded amazing, and I decided on the raw brownie. It was SO delicious, healthy, and hit the spot! Made with dates, nuts, and raw cacao, it was complemented perfectly by a mint-coconut filling. Since I'm not a raw-foodie, I got my brownie a-la-carte with a heaping scoop of vanilla soy ice cream. It was spectacular. If I had a dehydrator, I would certainly make my own version.

So, that was my Sunday! Coming up next is my Monday in Ithaca, visiting Cornell and scoring some amazing vegan eats :)

No comments:

Post a Comment