My Family's Secret Banana Bread Recipe
Ahhh, now this is where you should feel very special. Myself, my mother, and my grandmother have been making this banana bread for generations and it is absolutely scrumptious. It tastes even better with some chopped walnuts, dates, chocolate chips, raisins, or anything else tossed in. The best part? No eggs means no egg substitutes! The banana works perfectly. Serve it warm with a few pieces of fresh fruit or a little bit of Earth Balance. Yum!
- Juice of 1 lemon (2 T.)
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 c. NuStevia's Baking Blend (or brown sugar or your favorite natural sweetener)
- 1/2 c. unsweetened natural applesauce
- 1 + 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 2 c. of any combination of add-ins you like, such as:
- Chopped dates, raisins, or other dried fruit
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mash the bananas and mix them with the lemon juice until smooth.
- Cream margarine and sugar together and add the banana-lemon mixture, stirring well.
- In a separate bowl, stir the dry ingredients. Add to the banana mixture and stir in any add-ins.
- The dough will be stiff! Don't worry. Turn it into a greased loaf pan and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Makes 1 loaf.
- Enjoy! :)