Ahhh, you know that feeling when you wake up early and want to cook up something absolutely divine? Last night before bed, I had been brainstorming recipes for making an apple-cinnamon-raisin muffin. I had visited Cornell last week and we passed by the campus bakery. The smell of apples and cinnamon came flooding out of it, knocking me out of my paying-close-attention state and suddenly needing to make the perfect recipe. I perused my millions of muffin recipes until I found one that seemed easily buildable and changeable. The result was a house filled with the scent of apples and cinnamon in every hallway. Can't wait any longer? Here's the recipe!
Apple Cinnamon Raisin Muffies
Adapted from Veganomicon by Moskowitz and Romero
With a small spread of Earth Balance, these are the healthiest muffies you may ever sink your teeth into. Totally guilt free, these are perfect as breakfast, a pre-workout snack, or served warm as a dessert with some vanilla soy ice cream. Mmmm :)
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. natural, unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup NuStevia powder Baking Blend (or brown sugar, if you must)
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- half of one apple, chopped into quarter-inch dice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar; let sit for 1 minute to curdle.
- Add all of the applesauce and NuStevia powder; whisk to completely incorporate.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet; do NOT overmix! Fold in the raisins and chopped apple.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling. Serve warm or room-temperature with apple butter or Earth Balance. Or, if you're feeling spicy, use both!
- Enjoy :)